Top gifts South Africans are buying online this ChristmasWith millions of people taking their shopping experiences online, it’s no wonder e-commerce is growing rapidly in non-traditional markets like townships and difficult-to-access rural areas across South Africa. Consumer behaviour is constantly evolving and with that so are their ever-changing needs and wants. Consumer spending forecasts for the 2022 festive season aren’t great at all. Mostly dampened by rising inflation, consumers are feeling the pinch, still reeling from the financial effects of the Covid-19 pandemic, but also a struggling power supply which is having a negative effect on the smooth-running of many businesses, including the livelihoods of those whom those businesses employ. Under pressure, consumers are moving online to find inexpensive gifting this festive season, with ‘experiences’ almost topping the chart.
Top 2022 gifting items include:
- Electronics – iPhone 14 Pro Max, Samsung Galaxy Tab S8 Ultra, GoPro HERO9 Floaty, and a DJI Mavic drone;
- Experiences – Zip-lining Skeleton Gorge in Cape Town, hot air balloon rides over Champagne Valley in the Drakensberg, off-road advanced driving course, or even a 30min hand-on intro flight;
- Pet Supplies – Furbo dog camera, Thunder Shirt dog anxiety jacket, and Pet Parents Pawtech blanket;
- Home and Kitchen – Smart appliances such as Roomba robotic vacuum cleaner, electric coffee grinders and milk frothers, air fryers, hydroponic herb gardens, and double walled cappuccino and latte glasses;
- Sports and Outdoors – Garmin Venu watches, ultralight adventure gear, Ombraz Teton armless sunglasses, Coleman cooler box, Brewspoon, and Black Diamond headlamps.